6.05.2013

The discouraged journalist.

This might come off as a rant.

I got into media (I spent almost three years in the science/pre-med field in college) because it is truly what I love to do. I get excited at the idea of putting a good news piece together. My learning didn't stop when I crossed the stage last year. I still watch newscasts and listen to radio shows, both locally, nationally and some international to keep abreast about what is going on in the art of television and radio news/production. I have applied to EVERY entry level and junior level position in radio and tv (and some in PR) in my state. For the jobs that do contact me, I get "entry level" pay offerings, some that equal less than $1200 a month for producing positions that are seven hours away from where I live. As a recent graduate and passionate journalist, how am I supposed to live off the salaries they are offering. No, I didn't get into journalism to get rich, but I also didn't expect to pay for 4 years of college, come out with an impressive resume, a hunger to work, student loans to pay, and still live below the poverty line.

Unfortunately, minority owned companies, both in Houston, and in the US, rarely hire entry level applicants, which I think is a disservice as well.

I beg of stations to employ new grads, or least consider us. Our age, and experience has little to do with our skill set. It is easy to become discouraged, but I have to remember, as a double minority in the media, that I have to stay in this field, because we need representation!

Sigh. I just wanted to give my readers a peek into my current struggles.

No comments: