5.15.2013

Re-branding.




“The phoenix must burn to emerge.” 



Any of you that have followed me in any capacity in the last three years knows that "The Jessika Show" is a brand that I've had for years. It started as a play off the critically acclaimed movie The Truman Show, where a man is in search of himself after finding out everything he thought he knew was a false reality. (And that's about all you need to know about the movie...but you should still see it.) Over my college years, it became an outlet; a diary of everything from my first college party, to greek life, dating in college to cafe food. 

That blog as you know it died last night. This new direction for The Jessika Show has been in the making for months, even though the turnaround seems to be only 24 hours. Exactly 5 months ago today, I graduated from SFA and left the security of the mass communications department and the piney woods of Nacogdoches to head back to Houston-eager to find a job in media. Although i've had some freelance breaks here and there, a radio show (on AM radio...but radio none the less), and some promotional jobs for local media outlets, I have yet to find a media outlet-print, digital, video, etc that wants to take a chance and hire a recent grad with a passion for writing, video, social media and her hometown.

So this blog is one of necessity, in more ways than one. First, I feel the need to write more than ever. I want to become better.  I want to go out and take (more) photos of the city I call home and have them published. (Yes, I cannot wait to find more vintage [and somewhat creepy] collectibles on Montrose, as you see in the title photo). I want to introduce my generation- the young 20-somethings,  to more than the clubs downtown. Houston is vibrant, fun, full of art (and amazing local artists) all waiting to be discovered. And i want to discover it all.
Secondly, (and by the way, this sequential order reminds me of elementary essay writing) I want to get hired. Okay, im sure there was a much more "eloquent" way to say it, but its the truth. I am one of the people naive enough to still believe I can follow my dreams [and thrive] in this "recession". So if doing what I love[writing] in the city I love [houston] will get me there... well, that's amazing. 

The Jessika Show relates to The Truman Show more now than it ever did. I've finally removed the rose colored glasses that were my college years to find out life post-grad isn't the perfect reality I thought, and was told it would be. But life is still good. Now it is time for me to venture out and find myself.

Who better to take on the ride than you?

Welcome to The Jessika Show.
[rebranded.]

No comments: